If you find your GPS live not working, it can be an extremely frustrating experience. The good news is that you’re not alone, and there are actionable steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the issue. This guide provides a step-by-step breakdown, even if you’re not technically inclined.
Photo from Pexels
Check Signal Strength
Before you panic about your GPS live not working, one of the first things you should check is your device’s signal strength. This is often overlooked but can be the root cause of your troubles. Here’s how you can assess the strength of your GPS signal:
- Open Your GPS App: Navigate to the GPS app you are using, whether it’s Google Maps, Apple Maps, or any other.
- Look for a Signal Indicator: Most GPS apps display an indicator showing the strength of the GPS signal. It could be bars or a colored indicator.
- Move to an Open Space: If your signal is weak, try moving to a more open space. Buildings, trees, and other obstructions can interfere with GPS signals.
If you’ve moved to an open space and the signal hasn’t improved, there could be other issues at play.
Restart Your Device
Restarting your device might seem like a cliché solution, but you’d be surprised how many issues it can resolve, including GPS live not working. This can reset your device’s internal software, getting rid of any bugs that might be interfering with your GPS.
- Hold Down the Power Button: Keep it pressed until you see an option to restart your device.
- Select “Restart”: Tap on it, and wait for the device to reboot.
- Check GPS: Once your device has restarted, open your GPS app to check if the issue has been resolved.
It might take a few minutes for the GPS to recalibrate, so give it some time.
Click here for more articles like this – GPS Problems: Your Complete Guide to Common Issues and Solutions
If your GPS live is not working, the problem might lie in outdated software. Software updates often contain patches for bugs and improvements to functionality, including that of your GPS.
- Go to Settings: Open the settings app on your device.
- Navigate to “Software Update”: This will vary depending on your device, but it’s typically found under ‘General’ or ‘System’.
- Update if Necessary: If an update is available, download and install it.
After updating, relaunch your GPS app and check for any improvements.
Toggle Location Services
Sometimes simply toggling your device’s location services can resolve a GPS live not working issue. Toggling acts like a soft reset specifically for the GPS functions of your device.
- Go to Settings: Navigate to the settings app.
- Tap on “Location”: This is where you’ll find the settings for your device’s GPS.
- Toggle Off and On: Turn off the location services and then turn them back on after a few seconds.
Once you’ve toggled the settings, open your GPS app to see if the issue has been fixed.
If you’ve tried all the basic troubleshooting steps and your GPS live is still not working, it may be time to dig deeper. Advanced troubleshooting is generally a bit more complex and may require more technical know-how, but don’t worry, we’ll guide you through it.
- Check for Hardware Issues: Sometimes the problem might be with the device’s GPS chip itself. To diagnose this, you may use specialized hardware diagnostic tools available for your particular device.
- Check Third-party Interference: Another app running in the background might interfere with the GPS. Try closing all other apps and restarting the GPS to see if that fixes the problem.
- Inspect for Malware: Malicious software could also interfere with GPS functionality. Run a comprehensive security scan using trusted antivirus software.
Last Resort: Factory Reset
If all else fails and you’ve exhausted every option, you might consider performing a factory reset. Be warned, this should be a last resort as it will delete all your personal data and revert the device to its original settings.
- Backup Your Data: Before doing anything else, make sure to backup all essential data to a secure location.
- Go to Settings: Navigate to the device settings where you’ll find the reset option, usually under ‘System’ or ‘General’.
- Follow On-screen Instructions: Once you tap on ‘Reset’, your device will guide you through the process. It usually takes a few minutes.
Conclusion: GPS Live Not Working
While dealing with a GPS live not working issue can be frustrating, the solutions are often straightforward. This step-by-step guide has taken you through some of the most effective troubleshooting steps, from checking signal strength to updating your software.
Even if you’re not tech-savvy, following these steps can help you resolve most GPS-related issues and get you back on track.